September 10, 2007

Good Things Are Getting Better

When I was a child I remembered my grandfather telling me that 60% of all conversations in Europe had the name Brigitte Bardot in it.  He did not divulge his sources (and Alexa was not there yet), but the statement stuck in my head.  I think Brigitte Bardot has been replaced by Apple now or Iphone or Steve Jobbs. I am so happy to have switched to Apple at the beginning of the year to belong to the illuminati instead of to the Delldrones.   Immediately after the announcement I ordered with a friend going to SF an Iphone at 399$ and an Ipod Touch plus AV cables.  I am in passionate anticipation.  Life is a gadget beach.

I not only switched to Apple, but also to iGoogle for everything: mail, blog, documents, spreadsheets, accounts, search, reader, analytics, talk etc..  Today I was pleasantly surprised to hear that there is finally a search in Reader, a Google Translate (better than Babelfish, and not working with Systran) and the announcement that Cap Gemini is going to be the major distributor for the office suite Google Apps, thereby targeting MS 12bn$ a year revenue.  Google took the right decision: not desktop but webtop and not feature listing but collaborative tools.  Bits instead of Atoms.

Another good direction in my life was start writing a daily blog.  More and more widgets and apps appear daily to help blog writers.  We can now make a link cloud from any RSS feed and embed it anywhere, we can create interactive timelines from our RSS feed and then cut an paste it into our blog, Triond is offering us monthly royalties and Blogkits wants to marry blogging with affiliate marketing.  For the widgetfreaks among us, Mashable (the latest news on social networking) came up with 50 useful widgets to add to our blogs, some of them are yummy: Linebuzz (inline comments for your blog), 3Jam (readers can send messages to your mobile phone without knowing the number), Technorati link count, Delicious Tagometer, and Plazes (shows your current location).  

Of course one of the better decisions in my life was setting up Pajamanation (although it does not seem that way now, but I know what is under the soil).  The memes of our economic agenda are getting spread: Entrepreneur.com has several articles on homework this week.  One (by Lisa Druxman – Hire my Mom) treats of "mompreneurs" (according to the US Census more than 5.4m moms will put their career on hold to stay home with their children and are looking for flexible solutions).  Slashdot made my day when reporting that I ndian Software firms outsource jobs to US.
Two new sites have launched that will greatly benefit our movement: Skilltip.tv (videos that upgrade your skills) and redhotfranchises.com (this is also part of the homeworker community).

Yes, we live in exciting times, but I must admit that some things get boring.  If I see another announcement of yet another social network in my RSS reader, I think I am going to vomit. 


No comments: