September 13, 2007

How long do I still have to live?

The Life Expectancy calculator really made my day.  According to this new site I am going to be 95 and if I stop drinking coffee, 100.  I just love good news and I hate bad news and those who bring it.  There are two sorts of people: those who love bringing good news to share the joy and those who love bringing bad news to feel superior towards someone cracking down in a weak moment.  Sophocles was wrong and Atilla the Hun was right: Kill the messenger!
The site though has its weaknesses.  I had to choose if I was an American or over 49?  That is probably the American definition of our graying population in Europe, but it was weird.  After I filled in everything I was suddenly informed that I was over 50 and I had to go to another site: Eons.  There I had to to fill in everything once more but I needed an American zip code.  I went to Bugmenot.com and faked a New York zip code and then it worked : 95.  It does change your perspective about everything: relationship (let's have more sex, I am young), age (I am only at the end of the summer holidays, autumn is only starting and it is the most romantic season), travel (I will see the complete world other than on Google maps), investments (I'll hold), legal problems (shit I will still be alive), financial security (can i afford to live that long?), markets (I will live to see another bubble!). 
But sadly this morning I heard that EONS is in trouble and they had to lay off 25% of their staff, apparently people are not dying to get in there.  Good news does not pay, bad news does sometimes.

Today I announced our new version of Pajamanation.  It will be ready for closed beta (Country managers only) on Monday.  My joy was multiplied by the announcement that
Mechanical Turk closed for non-US residents.  Well we are not, wide open market for us. 
I like the idea of CHI   CHI is a programming language to query a global brain, tackling previously impossible-to-automate problems. 
This is what I want to implement eventually in Pajamanation.  A compiler and an assembler strategy.  Like Grid Computing, Chris says.

As I explained yesterday in my forum talk. 
Our future strategy is based on outsourcing to homeworkers, but it is a lot more than that. Outsourcing is just a word. Southsourcing would be better, because the future of what we do lies in the South. In Africa, in South America, in South and South East Asia. But even that is only the first line of defence.
The second line of defence is about the first, second and third worlds setting up virtual companies together and start to live artificial (internet) lives thereby competing with existing economic structures of cubicled corporations: our coops and supercoop strategy.
However, Pajamanation has a third line of defense: it is about identity and identity leverage. Very soon you will see, that people will realize that "identity" is the most popular word of 2008-2009. It is the last line of defense, the last leverage is the leverage of identity. We have leveraged everything else, besides that. That is the gate to growth beyond our imagination and that makes me so full of confidence and faith, so that I am patient.  And patience is not in my nature.
Walter

P.S
"Don't kill the messenger. Don't blame the person who brings bad news. This idea was expressed by Sophocles as far back as 442 B.C. and much later by Shakespeare in 'Henry IV, Part II' (1598) and in 'Antony and Cleopatra' (1606-07)




No comments: